Thursday, May 20, 2010

MCA



Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed viewing all the pieces exhibited at the Biennale
in the MCA. I was specifically intrigued by the full gamut of mediums utilized such as porcelain, cardboard, and steel to name a few. One piece that caught my attention was by Angela Ellsworth titled "Seer Bonnets: A Continuing Offense", displayed around the room were bonnets that were constructed from corsage pins but the needle is sticking inwards. This piece explains how women were suffering and under much control by the traditional women’s role in the house.

One artist I was really drawn to was Christian Jankowski’s video piece, "Live from the Inside." Jankowski works with television reporters to document various steps in the process of creating work for the Biennale of Sydney, which I found very interesting. I was intrigued to see the behind-the-scene thought’s of an artist especially because I had the opportunity to volunteer for two weeks at the Biennale, therefore I paid particular attention to hearing the behind the scenes comments. The piece also involved tableaux vivants, which is similar to a living picture. The people are still and do not move or speak. The main reason this was one of my favorites was how easily the audience could connect to the film. Jankoswki wanted to investigate the relationship between the artist and the audience and tried to figure out if the audience interprets the work the way the artist intended. As an designer I am always
wondering if the audience can understand my work and now I realize that artists exhibiting in the Biennale have the same thoughts and concerns.

Here is a link to Jankowski's bio and extra information
http://www.klosterfelde.de/sites/artists/jankow/ar_f.html

http://blog.cofa.unsw.edu.au/?p=935

No comments:

Post a Comment